We went to Grace Cathedral in San Francisco tonight for their Christmas Eve service. It was impressive--the scale, the architecture, the sheer number of celebrants gathered in the church. Wessy enjoyed it all from the comfort of the Ergo. Before the service started, I strolled with him around the cathedral looking at the art, some of which is quite famous. They have an exact replica of the Il Duomo doors. They have a series of paintings depicting the church's history, which is very intertwined with that of San Francisco itself. On that theme, there is an AIDS memorial chapel with an altarpiece by Keith Haring. Anyway, lil Saucer Eyes eagerly took it all in while also earning many admirers among the folks streaming in before the service.
I was able to hit the sweet spot with all the strolling and Wes was asleep before the service started. The service itself was lovely. The music was beautiful, the mood festive, and the people-watching excellent. My magical solid gold baby slept the whole time. He literally made one peep--right in the middle of the service he stirred, cried out once, and snuggled back into my chest. I really enjoyed hugging him close to me in the Ergo.
The Bishop of the California Episcopal church preached the sermon (gave the homily?). He had recently returned from representing the Episcopal Church at the Paris Climate talks and spoke of the gravity and meaning of the fact that literally the entire world had united in the agreement. Then we had more songs and then communion.
I got choked up when the choir sang "unto us a son is given." I know they were talking about Jeebus but I couldn't help but think of my son. Wessy was really just given to us--a magical combination of luck, providence, rainbows, pampers and I don't know what else. But a wonderful, out-of-the-blue gift from God nonetheless. The highlight of the night was when the Bishop blessed Wessy's head while I was taking communion. Like most important religious moments in Wessy's life, he slept through it.
Then the service was over and we walked out of the church into a chilly night. We enjoyed a little nightcap at the hotel while a now-awake Wessy was being adorable if a little screechy.
No comments:
Post a Comment