This past Saturday, we did our usual Whole Foods run. Due to not designating a single individual to be in charge of the Ergo, we ended up at the store without it. Oops. Our options were to hand-carry Wessy (tiring and probably not feasible), put him in the baby seat in the cart (developmentally inappropriate and dangerous) or put him in the cart in his car seat (the ultimate winner). Due to placing him in the cart, there was very little room for groceries and we had to take a second cart. We looked like crazy coupon people that buy like 40 steaks at once, except we were at Whole Foods, where buying 40 steaks at once will bankrupt a two-doctor family.
Anywho, Wessy was king of the cart. He did well initially, probably because the situation was novel, but then he started getting fussy. I gave him an apple to gum and he was much pleased. He held onto it jealously for the remainder of the shopping trip. Any attempt to take it away resulted in immediate and intense wounded crying. When we got to the checkout line, he was still gumming it enthusiastically. I made to take it away from him so that it could be rung up, but the cashier told me not to worry about it. Thank gawd, I was not looking forward to taking it away.
Fortunately, Wessy dozed in the car on the way home and the apple fell by the wayside. However, one of his new favorite activities is to sit (supervised) on the counter and plunge his fat paws into the fruit bowl. He will use both hands to pull out apples or oranges (which are to him as a basketball is to you or me) and then lick or gum them before tossing them aside to grab more. Maybe I shouldn't let him get used to doing that, but I can't help it, it's so fun to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment