Sunday, July 17, 2016

Perfect day

Just a quick post to remind myself later that today was (an almost) perfect day.   It started (a bit) imperfectly when Wessy woke up at 6am.  I very unwisely had stayed up until 1am the night before doing various things so that smarted.  Nevertheless, after an unsuccessful attempt to get him to nap with me (think gunnysack full of angry weasels) he drank a whole bottle of formula and then went down in his crib without a fight.

We woke up a little less bleary-eyed around eight.  We ate breakfast and walked the Buddy, then went to get Daddy up and then went to church.  We were only 25 minutes late, not too shabby.  We dropped Wessy off at the nursery where he was immediately surrounded by adoring church ladies.  Church was lovely, as were the coffee and donuts afterwards.

Wessy was bushed from his earlier exploits and turned into a cuddly, sighing little puddle in my lap when we got home.  I spent several minutes just sitting there with his little body in complete repose against my chest.  Since he is not one to sit still enough to allow for cuddling in real life, I spent the time sniffing his little warm-sunshine-and-sour-milk smell and patting his little bobble head.  I finally relinquished him to the crib and went to get a few things done.

I worked on painting some furniture while Stevo went on his usual rampage trying to do all the things around the house.  I actually made some progress.  Once Wessy stirred from his nap, we loaded up the ol' cargo bike and biked to Stevo's work colleagues house for a cook out.  They live waaaaay up on a hill so it was quite a haul for me (I had no electric assist) but the view was great and it was a part of town where I had not been before.  We are finding that it is A LOT of fun to bike around as a family, and having the electric assist on the cargo bike makes some routes more palatable than they otherwise would be.  Wessy, for his part, adores riding in his little baby seat in the back and will whine and shout when we stop at a stop sign until we start moving again.  He also loves to hold one or both of his arms out in a "victory pose" while on the bike, which I suppose is a combination of catching the wind and greeting passersby.

This was a Sonoma County cook out, so it included wine (of course), brie, figs and blueberries and tofu skewers.  Just lovely.  We had a great time just talking with folks and letting Wessy free-range around their patio and their giant sectional couch.  He even tried, with great enthusiasm, to feed a chewed up watermelon rind to their dog.

As we were leaving, Wessy made the discovery of a lights-flashing noise-making fire truck among our friends' kids' toys.  He was immediately rapt.  Apparently his ove of large trucks (i.e. the garbage truck) is multifaceted.  Stevo's friend kindly gave it to us since his kids don't play with it anymore, and I don't know if there was anyone happier than Wessy in Sonoma County this afternoon.

We biked home, making a quick pit stop at Home Depot for more painting supplies.  Once home, Wessy could barely hold his eyes open--no wonder, it was a big day for a little guy.   He was fussy but turned soft and cuddly after a meal and a bottle and is now sacked out.

We didn't really do anything spectacular per se, but it was an awesome family day.

No comments:

Post a Comment