Monday, November 2, 2015

Back at it

Mommy went back to work today! It was not awesome.  But it was not terrible.  I was late to work because I didn't want to get ready for work because I was watching Wessy sit in his bouncy chair and grin at me.  (Let's not even mention all the ugly-crying that happened yesterday.)

However, I did finally get out the door.  It was just a half day (Thank you jeebus!) and it was surprisingly tolerable.  I did miss Wes and I was incredibly excited to see him when I got home. He was a little milk-drunk and kind of indifferent. But so cute.  He is my little dolly.

If I had my druthers, I would have a few more months of maternity leave and then go back part-time.  Alas, residency programs are not cool with that.  But, I figure, I know that being a stay-at-home parent is not the right choice for me long-term, so might as well go ahead and jump head first into the nasty American Working Mother Struggle so I can go ahead and start adapting.

I was very sad about going back to work, but not entirely because I was going to be away from Wes.  Mainly I was sad that he is three months old already and that the beautiful, wonderful time that we had as a family while I was on leave was coming to an end.  I KNOW we will still have beautiful, wonderful times in the future but I will always treasure the happy, confusing, painfully sweet moments we have shared since we brought Wes home.  I want to suspend this time in amber (or maybe in a snowglobe) so that it will be preserved unchanged and I can come back to it in my memory whenever I want.

Wes, just know that the first three months of your life were so different from anything I've ever experienced before.  Before you, I felt like I was often just struggling through my days, marking time, waiting for the weekend or a 6pm glass of wine or to relax and watch a TV show in the evening.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but now I feel like I'm really living.   My life feels better and nicer because you came home with us.  So thank you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment