Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Wessy sicky

Poor Wessy is sick again.  Last time he was sick we suspected the flu, and this time we are not sure what it is.  He has had about four days so far of cough, congestion, fever and malaise.  I think it's worse this time than it was before--when he was sick before he seemed to bounce back faster.  Coincidentally (?) both time he has gotten sick I have been on night float.  Don't know why that is--am I bringing something home with me (I am very careful to shower and change before I touch him when I get home)? Or can we somehow pin this on Daddy?


Yesterday morning when I fetched him from the crib he was burning up, glassy-eyed and seemed kind of out of it.  I freaked out a little bit and demanded that we go to the ED.  It wasn't that I was certain that he was so sick he needed to be in the hospital, it was more that I didn't want to be trying to make those decisions myself.  Stevo stayed calm(er) and suggested making an urgent appointment for later in the morning.


I am on nights now so I wasn't able to go to the appointment, but basically he was diagnosed with acute otitis media (ear infection).  I'm not at all convinced this is the case, but again, I'm trying hard not to be his doctor.  So we are giving him the amoxicillin that was prescribed, along with a lot of Tylenol, motrin, probiotics and cuddles.  He did look better today than yesterday, though he is still febrile and I'm still worried. 


The one upside, if you could call it that under the circumstances, is that Wessy aka Mr. Mega-Wiggly, is much more cuddly when he is sick. Today we took a dreamy little nap snuggled on the couch, something he would never, ever tolerate under normal circumstances. 


The other thing that is a huge help is that Geraldine is still able to take care of him. If he were in daycare, he would definitely have to stay home and I don't know what the hell we'd be doing for childcare.  So that is very lucky.


But I still hate to see him sicky and cuddliness notwithstanding, can't wait for him to get back to his wiggly, grabby, peripatetic ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment