Today our little one was baptized. I am still absorbing and contemplating it all but I can certainly say it was a beautiful experience. As I said before, I didn't think much about whether Wes would be baptized when I was pregnant. For most of the pregnancy, we weren't attending any church regularly and we had not decided how (or if) a regular spiritual practice would fit into our life as a new family. When he came, it immediately seemed right that he not only attend church but also become part of a spiritual community that is going to join us in nurturing him. Hence the baptism.
In fact, Pastor Jim chose to make the entire sermon about baptism. He spoke of not only its benefits but its reciprocal responsibilities. Being recognized as part of the community of believers means that you must act out your beliefs. Wes, we hope you will understand this and have the courage to do so. Being baptized means you will have a whole congregation of people (and many others who love and support you but could not be present today) to help you do it.
Pastor Jim also spoke of how God knew Wes before we did, before he was even the tiniest flicker. This made me misty-eyed, as I do sometimes contemplate when Wes began. I often think he has been headed towards us for a long time and maybe he has always been a part of us that we couldn't yet see. Maybe he lived in both of our hearts before we knew each other. I don't know, only God does.
We will have to fill Wes in about the whole experience someday, though, as he slept through the entire thing. I fed him right before the service to prevent a meltdown before the baptism was actually due to take place (It wasn't until after the sermon). I (he) perhaps overdid it a little bit, though, because he was sacked OUT. He slept like an angel even when suspended (in my arms) over the baptismal font and only flinched slightly each time one of the three splashes of water (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) rained down on his head. When Pastor Jim held him overhead for the entire congregation to see, he stirred slightly but then snuggled back into his curled-up bean shape and
continued napping.
Wes, you have no idea how many little old ladies patted your head and called you preshus today. A LOT. Because you are. Precious to your father and me but also precious and wonderful in the eyes of the Lord. We love you so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment